Monday, March 05, 2007

JAYWALKING IS A CRIME

Yes, I'm guilty of jaywalking, I guess that makes me a criminal. In Vancouver it's illegal and you can be fined $25 for it. I found the following somewhere, i guess a paper (?)

"I have heard some people say we should be out doing more meaningful work like catching bank robbers," he says [instead of fining jay walkers}. "I have a response for that. The last time someone was killed in Vancouver by a bank robber was 1968."

Davies says 183 people have been killed while jaywalking in Vancouver in the past ten years. Another 3000 have been injured.

Despite the statistics, jaywalkers remain unconvinced and unrepentant. "I think I'm quick enough too," says one, "but it is dangerous if you don't really know how fast the cars are going."
And this from another violator, "You get to wherever you go a lot quicker, and usually I think I'm pretty good at it."


Jaywalking when trying to catch the bus is kind of common, if you walk all the way to the corner you'll probably miss the bus. Many bus stops are kind of in the middle of the street. If you jay walk you will save some time, make it to the washroom on time, catch that last movie ticket, save those precious 56 seconds! Whatever!!! Although i try not to do it when I jaywalk, I RUN, I'm fast!

I can't believe those jaywalkers that cross like if they were taking a stroll around the park in the 1890's, for god sakes..... move it people, and please don't jay walk on dark, rainy nights wearing black!!! so easy to hit someone, in the last few weeks I almost kill a couple of people that were doing just what I mentioned, had I been driving any faster and I would be in jail now. And heck, when it's dark and raining I drive like an old gramma, so maybe I wouldn't have killed anyone, but at least injure them good. So, don't jaywalk, jayrun wearing something highly visible, if you can't run and keep the vampire look, walk to the corner and wait for the crossing ligh!

5 Comments:

Blogger Beatriz said...

Manita este lo debias mandar al Rave and Rant del WE, jiji. pero la neta es que el jaywalking es bien peligroso sobretodo en esta epoca de lluvias, donde el peaton cree que se ve. Pero de algo que me he dado cuenta, es que la mayoria que hace jaywalk como si no existiera el mundo
son los vagos de la calle y eso enfurece mas, pues como dices, la gente que va correteando al camion o cubriendose de la lluvia, generalmente le corren

10:48 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

¿qué es eso de jaywalking? Perdonen mi ignorancia.
(En el diccionario no viene)

1:23 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cruzar a media calle

2:31 p.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

en canada hasta termino tiene el asunto...

3:54 p.m.

 
Blogger Raul said...

Caro,

La neta, que super posting! This is something I had been thinking about in the past few days. I think I'm an unrepentant jaywalker myself :)

11:24 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home