Monday, July 23, 2007

CITY STRIKE

As what is coming to become the usual.... Vancouver city workers are on strike! This time I really don't know the issues so I won't be commenting on the merits of the strike, whether the unions are being greedy or the city pig headed. Probably both.

What baffles me is that garbage pick up is not considered an essential service, but giving parking tickets is.

A few summers ago there was no garbage collection in the city for several weeks, in the middle of a hot summer it was disgusting!!! The city has fenced several locations so people can't go and throw their garbage there. I hope that the strike doesn't go forever, otherwise it is going to be a stinky summer, and as I face the back alley, I also see the dumpsters.

On Wednesday is the first night of the fire works, so it'll be interesting to see who is going to be cleaning up the beaches after something like 1/4 million people go there!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good Idea -- I'm going to go on strike here at my house. No garbage taken out... no cleaning... I'm not sure what I'm protesting but people will notice! -- marcos

9:09 a.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

It is quite an issue.. I cant comment on the fairness of the strike, but I know that it is surprising to know that garbage is not essential but giving tickets is... so I guess that we have to define essential... for having some income, of course. But the garbage is going to make the city intolerable :(

4:34 p.m.

 
Blogger Raul said...

You have NO idea how much I agree with you. I was going to blog about this but ended up not blogging about it. Anyhow, also wanted to let you know that my blog has moved:

http://hummingbird604.blogspot.com

And that I'm blogging in the Blogathon for A Loving Spoonful. Check details on my blog :)

9:04 p.m.

 
Blogger Beatriz said...

Pues efectivamente la P(*&^&%$ huelga nos da en la torre a todos, solo hagamos changitos que no se prolongue mucho.

8:09 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home