Thursday, December 22, 2005

BRUSSELS -1

I arrived to Brussels yesterday evening. I got a hotel right in the middle of the action as I was too tired and it was too dark to be looking for the hostel. My first impression wasn't that great, the signage at the train and metro stations is terrible, the tourist information centre closes at 5 pm and the city looks a little dirty. Everything was closed by 9 so I ended up going to a movie, In her Shoes, it's a sisterly movie, so of course I cried.

I slept soooo well, like a baby, a good baby, I have been sleeping really well lately, maybe because I walk so much. I am direction/map challenged so I have been walking double, somehow I tend to go in the opposite direction, all those maps are wrong for god's sake!!!! hahaha

Today I was feeling really lonely, sad, and miserable. I moped around Brussels most of the day, it's very nice, feels very old, doesn't feel as safe, it's very cold but cheper than Paris. At around 6 pm, again I got lost and ended up in a nasty part of town, took the bus in the wrong direction trying to escape and finally got to a safer area and I started walking with a runny nose as it was very cold, frozen feet, empty belly, missing I don't know what when I saw all these blue lights, a hugh christmas tree and the song "all you need is love" blasting from some public speakers. I walked towards the lights and there it was, the Grand Place....note: I have been looking for it since last night!!! oh my god, is so beautiful, I see why the Belgiuminons say that it is one of the most beautiful squares in Europe -I think the other one is in Warsaw-. It is so gothic, so gorgeous and all the Xmas decorations make it truly spectacular with big plastic spheres conatianign white xmas trees and some of the bubbles are silver colour. A big xmas tree with blue lights, the 4 buildings flanking the square illuminates with low blue light and a beatuiful light show projecting on the side of the cathedral, with music in different languages, different rythms and different images, beautiful, beautiful. All my blue feelings went away and I got a big smile on my face and remembered to stay in the moment and enjoy it. So I watched the show, and then as I was frozen went inside one of the restaurants and drand Jupitl beer - belgian - and soup de jour -carrot- and then i met some argentinian guys, really nice that are staying in the same hostel than me. Oh, yes, I moved to a hostel, first time in my life that i go to a hostel. It is really nice, but I feel like the mom of all the kiddies here, but well, that will keep me young. After there I went my own way, had a chocolate chaud - much better than my fav. choc at starbucks - and then I went to a hotel to ask for directions for a place where there was going to be salsa class. The concierge told me not to go there as it is far and not in a safe area and I would have to take a taxi as there are no metros near by, but he recommended another place. So I went there, behind St Catherines Cathedral. It is so nice there.

And the salsa place is right there and there is a class tomorrow night so I am planning to go, it should be fun. So yeah, my mood changed and suddenly the city looked much prettier. this travelling solo is getting harder than I anticipated, I am looking forward my family pit stop in the next 2 days. I know everyone is probably busy now, with xmas and all, but know that i love you all. I'll keep posting and will send Marcela the picutres as soon as I find a computer to download them to.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor girl... having a bad day? But don't worry, the more you travel by yourself the more confident you will get, better at maps and directions, and you will meet more people. You will make freinds and it will seem like family to you.

We are all thinking of you as it gets close to Christmas. We will be toasting you at Reena's. Bea and Richard have gone to San Diego suddenly, so we won't see them.

Have some fries with curry sauce. The Belgian's do them very well. Also I remember their waffles with chocolate sauce were to die for.

4:04 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Juani's Pearls of wisdom:
1. You are not alone. You are constantly in the minds of so many people that you have a shield of love around you. Know that, always.
2. Sometimes things (as cities) look menacing, gray, scary. When you overcome the initial impression and you pay attention and you ask for help you get to see the hidden beauty.
3. Enjoy the moment and learn to be comfortable with yourself. It's the only way to grow stronger and wiser. Especially when you are on your own and feel vulnerable.
4. Go shake your booty with your salsa skirt, and go the opposite way you're planning on going !!
The enanos will be spending Xmas with me. That makes me incredibly happy. Get Pelena's number ASAP so I can call you there Saturday !!
Lots of kisses and a cat hug from the gatitolindo.

5:07 p.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

Caro:
Que viaje tan increible, las fotos estan de pelos!!!
Que bueno que te animaste a ir. Debe ser una experiencia unica.
Siguenos contando!

1:38 a.m.

 
Blogger Andreea said...

The weather is not always the best, but Brussels can be a lot of fun. Hope you will enjoy it.
Place St. Gery down town is usually buzzing in the evening (just behind the Bourse).
If you are into design (fashion at least) then Rue Antoine Dansaert is a must (down town as well). Saturday and Sunday the flea market on Place de Jeu de Balle in the Marolles - a must, and really good fun.
Waffles, beer, chocolate, and frites: the specialties around. True caloric bombs of course :)
Enjoy!

6:01 a.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

Its a funny feeling that the city feels colder at the begining, but suddenly you find great stuff as that plaza and your perception changes, no? Enjoy!

11:06 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home