Wednesday, May 10, 2006

ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER


For many years I felt sort of liberated not to have to do the whole mother's day thing, though since my mom died I kind of avoided it and with time I started to think about it as a nuance. But the truth is that I would love to have that kind of nuance in my life. This year, on the 30th of December, it will be 18 years since my mom died. Well, losing my mom left a huge hole in my heart. The wound has healed but the space will always be there. I miss her terribly. I wish she was around so I could take her to an overcroweded, overpriced restaurant, buy her flowers, sit and talk and perhaps listen and sing all those Chabela Vargas and Elio Roca records that she loved and we grew up with. I wish I could have a fight with her or a simple short heartfelt phone call to/from her once in a while. But that is not going to happen so I will use this blog to give her some sort of a homage on this day.

She was beautiful, a bit nuts and crazy, I think excentric. Definitely ahead of her time, for god sakes, she fed us soya meat 30 years ago! did not eat carbs. Sometimes I think that she knew she was going to go early as her way of raising my sisters and I was, to say the least, "intensive". At the time I did not understand her but as I grow older I see that many of the lessons were for me to be learnt many, many years later. It is rather odd really.

She collected quirky little toys, liked to sing, was very affectionate, loving and playful, though sometimes the games not all that fun, like putting pillows over our heads or squeezing the head. She cleansed our eye balls with lemon, arggh! a bit of a nut I told you. Her standards were high and she was determined to raise strong women. She was direct and now I know that she carried a lot of sorrow in her heart. It sucks to know that I will never have those woman-to-woman conversations with her.

She loved us, she loved my dad, she loved her family particularly her youngest brother German (who died last year) and her youngest sister Lourdes, she adored both of them. She loved the waves and being buried in the sand. She loved to sew.
From her I learned the true value and meanining of friendship, she had friends that were part of her life since they were children. She had this admiration for Manguito and great love for her and all the rest of that group of remarkable women.

Mom and Manguito, her best friend. Her friends. Gorgeous her.


She used to drive us to music school 3 afternoons a week for years, she learned it too; if there was a lot of traffic and an ambulance went by, she would accelerate and drive right behind the ambulance to arrive a little early all the way to the IMAN (by the Olypmic Village - we lived in Satelite!). She treated all the maids and workers with love and respect and dignity. Once she got a perm and they curled her scalp, really! so a lot of her hair fell off and she looked liked a chicken. We started calling her "pollo". She was a tough cookie, never complained of being tired or sick, I only saw her in bed twice: after she had a mini-breakdown once I got lost in an Independance Day parade downtown and when she had a histerctomy. I wish she had cried and gotten sick, maybe then she wouldn't have died.

She sang with Mariachis in the Puerto Vallarta sea wall; got thrown out of a Garibaldi bar as she opened the bar swing doors imitating a western movie and the bouncers thought she was another "drunk gringa"; she danced flamenco at some crowded bars, she said that as long as it was love gender didn't matter; she was a chemist working at the INAH (National Institute of History and Antropology) and when she got tired of science she started a business selling artisan cheese. We ate together at the table everyday. She used to spike our breakfast shake with rum or whatever was at hand. She loved shoes and was not very good applying her make up, though whenever my parents went out on a fancy date, she always looked gorgeous. She wore heels everyday and was always really well put together. She read alot and loved to travel.

She had dignity and she had fire. She loved life. She was compassionate. She wanted us to be the best, whether we were maids or presidents. She loved us so much, of that I have no doubts. I now know that things were not rosy at all for her the last few years. She seeked refuge in religion, I wish she had done some things differently, but what consoles me is that I really feel that she did the best she could, the best she knew. As a teenager I sometimes felt that I hated her as we failed to see eye-to-eye in some issues, totally normal, but I can only imagine how a parent must feel when a child tells them that you hate them. I was fortunate enough to have the time and chance to straighten things up with her. The last two weeks of her life I was with her and we had so many wonderful conversations.

She was so sick, she was in a lot of pain. The chemo and radiations did a number on her. She lost her hair and got so thin. Her arms were bruised by the radiation. She could taste everything that she ate and the flavours were very intense for her. She knew she was dying but waited for my sister and I to go back home at the end of the school semester. We spend a really beautiful, quiet Christmas together. She was in pain but her eyes had this spark and sweetnes that to this day comforts me when I think about it. I was with her when she died. She lost her sight at the hospital. She was a bit mortified, but when the machine flat lined, she had a smile in her face. I think she went in peace and that to me is the most important thing. When I die, I want to have that look of serenity and peace on my face.

She died of a fulminant cancer at age 51. My mom left an immense hole that has become part of me, part of my life. I am so grateful that she was my Ma.

I still miss her.

So wherever you are, know that I love you, always.

Last picture with my mom. December 26, 1988

11 Comments:

Blogger Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

I am blinking back tears after reading this beautiful story of what a beautiful person your mother was. You brought her to life for anyone who reads this. I wish I had known her... bursting through those "saloon" doors like that! And those heels. I thought this was wonderful, and so deeply touching without resorting to any cheap sentimentalities. It was just honest and funny and so truthful. I think that's also known as good writing.

6:16 p.m.

 
Blogger Beatriz said...

Indeed Sis. Mom was an absolut AWESOME beautiful MARTIAN!!!!!!

12:19 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Carolona, being someone who knew your Mom from the very first day I was born (for sure)... with the memories I have about spending my childhood along with all of you Becerras... and still passing every single day in front of Framboyanes 22, what can I say, beautiful homage to a beautiful person we still miss each and every day.

Euge.

11:37 a.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

Ay Carolina, me hiciste chillar...

2:05 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Querida Carolona,

Ahora yo quiero contarte que tu Mama y yo tuvimos 38 años de una muy buena y respetuosa amistad en los que compartimos ilusiones, desilusiones, complicidades, esperanzas, ratos dificiles y ratos buenisimos.

Nos entendiamos muy bien solo con la mirada, nos vestiamos igual sin ponernos de acuerdo, nos robaron a cada una nuestras casas la misma noche y en Quimica despues del Acido Laurico sigue el Margarico... tantas coincidencias.

Las dos compartimos a nuestras familias, viajamos, copiamos, estudiamos, fuimos a fiestas y examenes juntas. Fue una gran amiga.

Tengo un millon de anecdotas y recuerdos de ella que algun dia te contare.

Cuando empezo su enfermedad, yo esperaba que la superara, sabia de su fortaleza y aquella Navidad de'88 en que nos despedimos de ustedes nunca pense que no la volveria a ver. Habiamos quedado que no se iba a "rajar" y sin embargo Dios ya no le dio oportunidad.

La extraño mucho ya no tengo con quien carcajearme y aun sueño con ella frecuentemente.

Cuidate mucho, muchos besos,

Manguito

5:41 p.m.

 
Blogger Marga said...

Chiquis... no me sorprende que tu y tus hermanas sean como son si una mujer tan extraordinaria las trajo al mundo, te mando un beso enorme y me siento muy orgullosa de ser tu amiga Marga... jeje...

nos vemos pronto

12:01 a.m.

 
Blogger ElGato said...

Caballo, ya no me acordaba del juego de la almohada en la cara....

10:25 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caro: a menudo leo tu blog y ahora que encontré este homenaje a tu mamá, no puedo más que compartir este pensamiento contigo. Al igual que tú, yo también perdí a mi mamá por el cáncer y entiendo todos los sentimientos que te invaden a menudo.

Sin embargo, creo firmemente que mientras las tengamos presentes, no se habrán ido del todo.

Un abrazo grande: Angélica

8:05 p.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

Caro,
Que increible relataste la historia de tu madre, una mujer increible de veras...
Lo que mas me gusto: Su amor a la vida.

9:49 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Caballo:

Me gustó mucho leer la historia de tu mamá. Creo que nunca habíamos visto a la "Tía Lavi" desde ese punto de vista. Bueno, al menos yo. Es decir, viéndola así de adulto a adulto. Y me gustó mucho, de verdad.
Y también, de repente vienen tantísimos recuerdos con ustedes y con ella.
Una vez, me regaló una cajita llena de juguetitos, todos chiquitos y me gustaban muchísimo. Además me explicó por qué había metido cada uno de esos jugetitos ahí. Me gustaron por muchísimos años. Hace poco todavía vi por ahí uno de esos juguetitos que venían en la cajita. Ni siquiera me acuerdo porque me la regaló. (Seguramente estaba dando lata y así me pudo mantener en calma).
Ahora ya grande, y dedicándome a lo que me dedico, de verdad que me hubiera ENCANTADO poder platicar con ella sobre formulaciones y cosas de esas.

1:59 p.m.

 
Blogger Caro said...

I have been very touched at the response from this entry. I have received a ton of e-mail from people that I didn't even know read my blog. Nice surprise!
Also, reading Manguito's entry here was sooooo nice. Yes, mi mom was special and it is nice to know that those who knew her haven't fogotten her, and those who didn't well, got a glimpse of her . . . that is a life well lived, don't you think?

3:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home