Wednesday, May 10, 2006

RUNNNNNING


This September is 20 years that I live in Vancouver. Most of that time there has been the Vancouver Sun Run and the Vancouver International Marathon, two events that I had never attended, mainly because they are way to early (for me) and because it is usually raining and miserable, so Sunday's it is always better to sleep in, yummy!

But this year my sister Beatriz and 3 other friends, Marcela, Daniela and Bryan were running in the 10Km Vancouver Sun Run. So I made a big sign and went to cheer them on! WOW! I was really inspired by all the 55 thousand runners and walkers that took part on the event, which is also a fundraising for literacy.



Bryan and Daniela crossed the line way before BB and Marcela. It was the first time that Bea had run so we all suffered with her training stories and knowing that the girl was getting up early and going out in the rain and cold to keep up with their training. Both Bea and Marcela finished the 10 K run in a little more than 1 hour! Imagine! that is awesome. Maybe next year I will try that myself, but I will just walk, I have very bad knees. It was a wonderful experience to go an cheer on the athletic people of my town and I am glad that I left the comfort of my wonderful warm bed to participate in an event that is so ingrained in this culture.

So good for you!!
Las corredoras

It was also lots of fun to see people dressed up and running, it added to the fun and cheerfulnes of the event. Two friends were running dressed up like PacMan and another one had a plastic "fat lady" custome. A couple of women where dressed like cows and I say an old guy, I am sure 200 years old running at turtle speed, but running nevertheless.






2 weeks later....
My friend Marc from North Carolina came to run the Vancouver International Marathon! 40 km!!! oh my God. We drove the route that he was going to run and I WAS tired just from driving, and he ran it in 3 hours and 25 minutes (I think!). Unbelivable, this time I also went to cheer on the athletes as I have a better understanding of the passion and commitment required to do it. I'll post more about Marc's visit to Vancouver soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger marcela en canada said...

It was a great experience, I say you try walking it next year, it should be fun!

1:54 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home