Tuesday, July 31, 2007

DANCE CAMP 2007


On the way to the camp!

Last weekend I went to dance camp!!! hahaha, can you believe it.

The camp was organized by the Nanaimo Ballroom Society, it was the 3rd year that they do it.

It was at an island off Nanaimo called New Castle Island. I've never heard of it before. It's a really beautiful place and it has a big big ballroom. During the 1930's it was used as a dance venue for Vancouverites. People would really dress up and get on the ferry where there were they danced to the sounds of a Big Band, they would get to the islan, the band would set up at the ballroom, and people would dance the night away, and then go back to Vancouver again, w/the big band and dancing in the ferry. So, the place has a dancing tradition.

We had the option to stay at a hotel in Nanaimo (well, really not an option as the only rooms left were over $350 p/night), so we camped at the island. Imagine! me camping! hahaha. Well, I must say that I'm very proud of myself because i was able to set up a tent! wow! At the end it turned out to be the best thing because the last ferry back to Nanaimo was at around 10:30pm and heck, I wanted to dance all night.


View of the camping area and the "dance barn" hahaha

So, my friend and I went. We danced all night Friday, all day Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday.

Most of the dancers were West Coast Swingers and many ballroom. We were only about 5 salsa people and we didn't know anyone, so it was good to go and meet new people and learn new dance styles like Tango, west and east coast swing, waltz, lindy hop, rumba, etc. The days started with a Yoga class and then workshops all day and dance at night. Good food was provided and we were incredibly lucky to have fantastic weather!!

We were about 150 people, most of them couples and the medium age was probably 42 or so. At least there were some singles, probably around 16 max so we had guys to dance with. And even the coupled ones danced with us. I learnt a few new steps and had a ton of fun. My feet don't even hurt! I discovered that a pair of casual shoes I have do the trick, I was on my feet for about 13 hrs a day and didn't get any kind of discomfort, so that's good.

This was a very fun and memorable weekend. Dancing is the best.

http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca/NIDC/


One of the workshops, great dance floor!

4 Comments:

Blogger ElGato said...

Hijoles, caballo, deveritas que haces lo inaudito para irte a agitar tu cuerpecillo..mira que eso de acampar ??? yo no, manita, yo si soy lady juani y prefiero cama. Pero por otro lado que bueno que eres pobre, porque si no ya te habrias ido a dar la vuelta al mundo en 8 anos con Viva La Gente. Que bueno que te hallaste unos cacles comodos, nomas acuerdate del cuento de las zapatillas rojas.....besitos.

4:59 p.m.

 
Blogger Beatriz said...

Lo que hace la gente por mover el bote, creo que deverdad ahora si ya te perdidmos

9:03 p.m.

 
Blogger Raul said...

Next time you have a dance camp, TELL ME!!!! I am a dancer myself (salsa) so I would've loved to have joined!

Hugs
R.

10:31 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey raul, i didn't know you were a salsero too!! we shoudl go together. c

4:33 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home