Monday, July 10, 2006

UNTIL 2010 !



Sunday July 9, 2006. The much awaited World Cup final was finally played. I would have liked it if the final was Brazil vs. Argentina. Even better, Mexico vs. whoever and have Mexico win, yes, the eternal optimist or rather diluted. Anyhow, France vs. Italy. Mmmh, OK, I'll cheer for Italy, I do like to support whatever I identify with and I tell you, I love Italy and the italians are so yummyliscious that it is good to support what God put in that land mass, hihi.

In Vancouver, Commercial Drive is where everything latin happens, from Brazilian carnavals, to Mexican celebrations, Italian national day, Dia de Muertos parade. It is a vibrant part of town that is ecclectic and unpretentios. People that are "from the Drive" have a particular style...there are so many weird fashions, and plenty of lesbians. So of course, it is THE place to go and watch such a match. We got there early enought and were lucky to find some floor room at a Salvadorean restaurant. I was going to cheer for Italy, but I got really turned off by all the yahoo, naco, canadian-italian behaving like jerks and sporting horrendous thick gold chains and facial hair. Not to mention some real unfriendly women. Maybe I was just sleepy and tired but I decided to cheer for France, eventhough. So I cheered for both teams, getting all sorts of looks of "disgust", though I must confess that after Zidane did his little tantrum I went back to cheer for Italy. The truth is that they played very well, both teams. I missed that passion for the team, I enjoyed the matches way more when I have made up my mind as to whom I want it to win. Perhaps next world cup.

After the match everyone there went out to the street and celebrate. It was a VERY hot day, I think I got a bit sunstruck. There were people from all walks of life, tooons of flags, it was very fun. So here are some pictures.


I wonder what happened with Zidane, I would like to know what the other player told him to piss him up so much to not care to be kicked out of the team, in the last 3 minutes of his retirement game. El gato was telling me that it was probably some racial slur, he's Algerian, and he probably didn't care anymore. I would like to know. But, it was still very unprofessional I think.

So now I will be able to concentrate on other things and won't be watching so much TV and spending a lot of time worried with the futbol. But for sure, I am looking
forward the next one in 4 years!!

7 Comments:

Blogger marcela en canada said...

I was cheering for France. It was indeed a good match, I thought. But I agree with you with repect to Zidane's behaviour. I didnt want France to win anymore just because of that. What an attitude!!

3:55 p.m.

 
Blogger ElGato said...

Darlingas: France did not have a good team.... 10 players always relied on the "foreigner, the algerian" to score for them. And when he got the red card, with him went the french hope to score again in penalties. So Forza, Raggazzi !!!!

10:07 p.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:41 a.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

HAHAHAAAAAAAA
FORZA AZZURRI!!!
I was cheering for Italy but couldn't watch the game...rumor has it that the party at Commercial Drive was indeed huge.
About Zidane, well, he es an extraordinary man. He must have been provoked, I am sure. Let's see when he gives a public declaration.

8:41 a.m.

 
Blogger Beatriz said...

Pues yo si le fui a Italia all the way, imposible abandonar a mi novio Toni en momentos importantes de su carrera!!!! jiji, ademas en mi opinion, Francia no merecia llegar a la final. en cuanto a Zidane, no dudo que el Italiano le haya dicho algo terrible y que posiblemente nunca se sabra, pero si estas a 3 min. de retirarte con fanfarrias, te tragas la colera o al menos no haces una tarugada de tal tamaƱo, en fin, ojala y Mexico para el 2010, le llegue al menos a la semifinal y creeme que ahi si que no me pierdo la fiesta en Commercial.

10:15 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

soccer is a stupid game

12:21 p.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

Ya Caro!!
CACAROOOOOOOOO

3:07 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home