Wednesday, August 09, 2006

L E A R N I N G

Yep, learning, sounds nerdy eh? That is a passion of mine, together with travelling. I wish I could retain 1/10 of the things i read and like, but I think I am definately having a torrid affair with that german guy, what's his name? Al Zehimer? Anyway, I would like to learn Japanese, archery and calculus (again). I find that dancing has helped established new thinking paths, now it is so much easier to remember dance routines and steps (though really, kind'a useless if the dancing partner is not a good lead). I have the famous BALDOR book that Catito brought me, I think that those times when I don't have much to do, I will be doing equations. Does that sound sssseeexxxxyyyy? hahaha. Archery? I found a group on Sundays, maybe I will check it out this fall. and Japanese, well, i just like how it sounds, I like how japananes men talk, like in the movies, so rude and threatening and the women kind of cackle. I'll try the male version and the female version, I think that will keep me amused.

When I teach I see it a form of learning. But the truth is that sometimes my students drive me bananas...they don't have the passion or even the interest to learn. They are ther to get a paper, to "pass". They put no effort, have no enthusiasm or even curiosity. That makes the teaching process somewhat like torture, but I am determined to change at least one person, at least a little bit. The group that is presently giving me such trouble is the must uninspired group I have ever had. There are a couple of people with some talent, one very passionate [who "hates" design ! - but is coming around, and actually works very hard!] and the rest are lazy, unmotivated, passionless, not at all curious, nervous, aggressive, confrontational, rude, and painfully mediocre. In contrast I have another group that is almost the exact opposite. I enjoy so much those sessions. But with the bad group, I enjoy the challenge and I enjoy that even if they don't get excited about target groups, budgets, deadlines, strong concepts, excellent typography, clear messages and modular grids, I do and somehow, perhaps out of desperation, still manage to get excited about such things.

Anyway, maybe I'll learn how to cook. I think I have made myself allergic to vegetables, that's kind of all I ate lately. Well , good night all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Raquel said...

I am in the same situation with the vegetables!!
And Caro, I remember living what you described at school, not as a teacher, but as a student. I remember my teachers with love. Those who taught me something have a place in my heart.
After what you said...I might start dancing!

1:48 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu told me about the student who "hates" design -- interesting that it sounds as though he's getting engaged with the topic anyway. What I'd give for a real design education... well, maybe that would have gotten in my way.

Oye, and I'm still going to try to take salsa lessons here. Next time I come up maybe I'll know how to lead properly. If not, I'll go and wiggle with the "remedials" at the Yale blues night! Comete tus vegetales, que hay chinitos muriendose de hambre...

--Marcos

6:01 p.m.

 
Blogger ElGato said...

Learning is an ongoing, neverending process. I miss teaching. But the process can also happen at work. When you have a job you like, all the good characteristics you mentioned about your good group show up. When you don't like your job...well....you turn into your bad students. So keep learning, caballo. If you master the art of archery, you'll graduate from being a simple but cute pink pony to become a magnificent centaur !!

9:44 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home