Tuesday, July 18, 2006

THE MAKINGS OF AN AUNT

I am easily amused by the simple things in life. I find joy in the mundane and the sound of the ocean gives me a soul "lift" everytime. Chocolate, mmmh, nothing like it; spending time yapping with my friends whether it's deep and philosophical or just babbling about nothing; a good meal; when I master a step; lost a pound; made a buck; came up with a great design; had a good laugh or whatever, in general perhaps I can say that I am happy.

But when my sister told me that I was going to be an aunt, it was like a popcorn machine exploded in my soul or heart or somewhere, wow! that was joy!

The few friends that have children have always talked about that joy, "children are wonderful" they say, "if you only had one you would understand". Well, now I think I got a peek of that feeling. Can't imagine what it feels to actually be "baking" one in your belly. But for now, I love my "popocorn heart".

I already love that baby so much. Poor Enanos, because I know they will do their best to be good parents and the baby will only get spoiled rotten by the aunts. Parents educate, aunties spoil, jijiji! So what is the role of the Aunt?

Well, I just think about my own aunts. I loved Lourdes to death, the highlight of the week was to go to my granparents house and spend some time with her, she was kind of our idol. And those summers with Bertha, she screamed and yelled and made tamales, but she would give me those heart felt hughs that still resonate. And Tia Lupita, well she still knows how to spoil me, everytime I see her she makes my favourite foods and never misses a birthday. And Rosita, besides passing me her beauty and wisdom and distracted brain when I was baptized, her pragmatism is always a good thing to rely on. And my aunt Edda, always ready with a hugh, a compliment and those great balloon piñatas, and Yolanda with a that great sense of hospitality and family. So I was blessed with lots of great aunts. Now it's my turn to be one and I hope I am a good one. I'll take the kid skiing and sky diving; teach it about the world and perhaps take her in my travels; of course i'll share my passion for all aesthetic and soccer, and politics and world affairs; and good shoes, and good friends. I won't be able to teach her how to cook, but I can teach her how to paint or just relax at the beach counting how many waves come our way. But the truth is that I have no idea of how it will be, all I know is that it will be the beginning of an excellent adventure.

So baby, take your time eh? don't come out before hand, there is a life time ahead! See you in January.

PS. I say her because I think it will be a girl...the famous and most awaited Victoria. But if he's a boy, well, that's great too. I'll try not to dress him up like a girl, as I did with my cousin Fernando! jajaja

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caro:

Entiendo tu alegría por ser futura tía: es un sentimiento único y más cuando eres primeriza...

Aprovecha al máximo el tiempo que pases con el o la futura sobrina, pues crecen tan rápido que mi última actividad con mi sobrina menor fue ir a votar las dos el pasado 2 de julio! (no supe cuándo cumplió los 18 años!)

Felicidades a todos y en especial a los futuros papás.

Un abrazo:
Angélica Cruz

8:02 p.m.

 
Blogger ElGato said...

Orale, caballo, de repente me dejas perpleja con tus filosofias...y me pones a pensar en cosas que jamas en la vida se me habian ocurrido. Asi que ahorita ya no puedo pensar en nada y mejor me voy a dormir.

11:37 p.m.

 
Blogger Beatriz said...

Pobre de mi!!!!!, pues con la mente analitica y creativa de la señorita Hilton, el caracter voluble y diciplina militar del gatito lindo y la sensibilidad e incomparable habilidad de escapista de la Piti, lo unico que se me puede ocurrir, es que van a ser las tias mas divertidas,locas y amorosas del mundo.

12:22 p.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

Caro,

What you wrote was beautiful!
La verdad es que el bebe de Beatriz es afortunado por tener esos padres, esa mama tan llena de vida y esas tias tan carinhosas y fuertes.
Sabes que percibo que sera tu mejor regalo para tu sobrina/o? El poder compartirle ese talento que tienes de saber disfrutar de la vida.
Un abrazo!

9:16 p.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

Chale! Ese bebe va a ser re consentido por las tias y la madrina, moi, :)

2:07 p.m.

 
Blogger ElGato said...

Que creen que estaba pensando el otro dia?? Que voy a ser una tia viejita. Neta. Cuando el bebequedos cumpla 8 anitos apenas, yo voy a estar organizando mi fiesta de (gulp !!) CINCUENTA....oooooomaaaaigoooooddd!

10:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home