Saturday, December 31, 2005

AMSTERDAM - 2

The adventure continues in this gorgeous city. When I was in Paris I thought that would be the highlight of my trip, then in Brussels that feeling was confirmed and then I get here....a new high! So glad about it. I really like the canals, the bridges, the houses, specially the ones that are crooked, the streets, the people.

I have visited the Van Gogh Museum, the actual building was design with Vincent in mind as he was highly influenced by Japanese culture. In a patio they have this great "mural" that says "it's good to go to museums" in all different languages, it's really great.

I really like his work and even though some of the famous paintings like Star Night and one for the sunflower are not showing there are others like one of his self-portraits and his bedroom. The exhibit is in chronological order and it's very easy to see the transition, from dark gloomy colours and themes to energetic and colourful snapshots of how he saw things. I don't like all the work, but in general he is one of my favourite artists.



I wasn't to keen on going to Anne Frank's house, but well, it's one of those things you kind'a have to do, so I went and I'm glad I did. It brings the whole diary to life, seeing how they lived, what they saw, knowing that even a little step could be heard - as everything is wood - the stress they were under that time is just unimaginable.

The Rejkmuseum is great, I'm not that keen on Dutch paintings but I got a new taste for it. What i liked the most is that many of the paintings are very active, candid. There is this one painting of children trying to teach a cat how to dance, all the faces and body language is captured so brilliant that I had a good laugh when I saw it. The Rembrandt are fantastic, this ones I liked so much better live, in the books they loose some quality. I have been very attracted by the eyes of the Dutch people, and I think I figured it out today after looking at the paintings, their eye sockets and lids are very round in the center, so they look awake and the eyeball shows quite nice, even when they smile. I was looking at pictures of me when I smile or laugh and I look Chinese......hihihi, my eyes are not round, are more chinese almond or something like that! Behind the museum there is a big park with an ice rink, the day I went was very cold but dry, so people were skating, the light was rather bright and wintery and it was a scene straight out of a postcard, I hope the pictures sort of capture what I saw.





Last night Rina and I went to the Red Light District. That was really fascinating. Most of the girls we saw were gorgeous, tall, blond, perfect tight little bodies and very young. Some were fat and older but most of them looked really good. Even to be a hooker like them you have to do your job well. Some of them were just sitting there, looking upset, bored, high or in plain bad mood, talking on the cell phone or picking their nails while others were really working the crowd. Of course, after 10 or so hours I guess they probably just want to pick their nails and talk to their friends. There are ads of "store fronts for rent". Always an option if things get hairy....:-)

I will try to find out how much they charge. I think that if you are going to be a prostitute, better to be working like the ones here, much better to be in your little room, kind of protected, warm, comfortable than standing in a street corner hoping that the next john is not going to take you to some empty parking lot and kill you. We went into some of the sex shops and wow! the variety! in Vancouver there are 10 of one thing, here there are 80! Then we went for a drink to some punkish joing, they were playing the Ramones, I like it and there were armours everywhere. After that bar we continued looking at the hookers in the next canal and from there walked back to the house, but before we stopped for another beer at a nice bar, they were playing jazz. It was a fun evening.

There are these "food slots", I haven't tried them as they don't look to appetizing but everyone seems to get food fromt there. One thing I've noticed in this trip is that many people in on the run, everyone seems to have something in their mouth including hemp lollipops. I might buy a space browny one of this days, the only thing is that I don't want to get sick.... I already had my date with the porcelain god and don't want another one this trip!!

Today, Dec 30 started snowing!!! the whole city is white and it's very cold. I need to buy a new pair of boots as Prague, Budapest, Austria are all snowed. Mine are resistant to everything but I've walked so much that whatever track they had is gone and I feel like I'm skiing - I really don't want to break a leg. I have enough with having a very sour knee. My left lower leg is looking rather ugly, all shades of purple and green and it's very hard to go downstairs. Up is ok. I walked and walked but soooo slow, I was taking pictures and enjoying the panormaa, it's cute to see people in their bikes and all the bikes parked in the snow and no one fuzzes about it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home