Tuesday, January 24, 2006

VENEZIA - 3

So yes, Venezia was absolutely wonderful. I loved the place. I am just worried that it might not last much much longer. Most buildings look deteriorated and it must cost a fortune to restore all that. I will have to become more informed about "save Venezia" if it exists. I went to the Fenice Theatre, amost to see, there are a lot of problems with government funding for the Arts in Venice, for example, they have cut the budgets for the Opera houses as it is very expensive to produce them for only a few performances.

Picture perfect!! Posted by Picasa

San Marcos is spectacular and the style so different from any other churches. I found a wonderful museum of musical instruments with many instruments from the Middle Ages, I know the music lovers would go nuts in there. Apparently must young Venizians leave the town to bigger pastures thus it is full of old people that like it quite. It is hard to party and all the houses are so close together that if you breath hard someone three buildings away will complain )this is what the locals told me).
the last night in Venize I was alone after dinner, so all alone and cold went into a bar to have a hot cappuccino, about .5 hr a couple of german lesbians came and it was quite entertaining to see them as love birds, and then about 5 irish came in. They were very funny and were saying all sorts of goofy things, they thought I didnot understand and were talking about me for a little bit, started taking pictures of me imagine! I should have charged them, and then more irish arrived. They were so funny that I couldnh help it but laugh at what they were saying so they realized that I speak english. This was around 9 pm. to make the story short we ended up singing and laughing until 1 am when we were basically kicked out. Those Irish people are crazy and they are so much fun. They were a group of mostly couples in their 50s that are rugby fans and were in Venize for a match, their team is the Ulsters from Belfast and now I know how to singç stand up, for the Ultster team, stand up....lalalalla.l I have a place to stay in Belfast, they were sooooo much fun. I am glad I stayed and did not mind being all alone in a bar full of singing irish. I remember Marcos telling me how much fun Ireland was.

I also went to the little islands of Murano, Burano and Toreccielli ?. The Murano glass is wonderful, I dont like a lot of the traditional designs, but there are some amazing modern things. Burano is soooo cute but when we arrived it was after five, was dusk and worse the fog was so thick that it was hard to distinguish the colours of the lilttle houses, it is like a toy town, lovely. And the other island it had a lot of snow still, the church is old and I liked it. I really like very very old churches like that one. The sun was setting when I arrived, it was a weird sun, like a cold fire ball suspended in the mist, very misterious.

Venize felt very safe eventhough some of the tiny mini narrow streets I had to take to my hotel could be scary, but I found out that there are 55 cameras in San Marcos square and all over Venize there are hidden cameras, they watch you all the time, so that made me feel secure, I donàt know if it is a false sense of security, but even then. They are paranoid here, to use the internet they ask you for your passport if you are a foreigner or at least a drivers licence for everyone to keep in check who uses the net. That bugs me, who the hell cares if I go to the net or not.
There are some fantastic restaurants and beautiful bars and cafes. I had a couuple of Venize tours at night and that was very, very nice. With the locals.


Being attacked by the dog-doves Posted by Picasa


I always had wanted to go to St Marcos, seat outside and watch the action. So I did the only day that the sun came out for about 2 hours. Mmmmhhh, yummy hot chocolate, best sun of the holidays! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Beatriz said...

Te lo dije cocodrilo, que bueno que le agarraste el gusto, pues Venezia es realmente lindo.

Yo habia leido en algun lado lo de las camara, de que la gente se esta llendo a otros lados y de el problema con los presupuestos para la conservacion y difusion de las artes, pero todo esto era debido a que la ciudad se esta hundiendo y es demasiado caro mantener lo que queda y a los que quedan.

Go you to know

4:01 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home