Sunday, October 28, 2007

MEXICO, MEXICO, RARARA

I haven't been to Mexico for 2 years. I went there last weekend on a flash trip. The airport is finished now, it's simple and uninviting. All those telcel billboards on the walls are ugly and a good example of visual pollution. There is one mural somewhere that is nice. The whole place smelled like sewage and gosh! that makes a very bad impression!!

I love flying over the city at night, it looks soooo big. I like to see the rows of traffic in the main avenues. One line of red line and one line of white lights, the cars stuck in traffic....it's nice! and the lines are endless. While we waited for the bus to take us to the hotel it started raining..... MEGA RAIN!! that was cool. I have kind of forgotten that. In Vancouver it rains 8 months a year, but never like those flash heaven-baths! We had a really nice dinner with Erwin at the hotel's restaurant. I asked for Mole at 11 pm...it was de-li-cious and BIG, of course I ate it all. The service was excellent and all the staff very, very polite and helpful so, for a quick stop in Mexico city near the airport keep in mind the Ramada Aeropuerto.


Next day took the bus to go to Cuernavaca. Very organized, clean, punctual and friendly service. We arrived to Cuernavaca and it was HOT!! I forgot it gets hot there. LOL. We checked in the hotel and went to find beauty salons to get ready for the wedding and then went downtown. I LOVE downtown. So festive, crowded, colourful, inviting, energized, buzzing, busy. All the typical street vendors: chicharrones, corn, balloons, magazines, soap bubbles, masks, candies, shoe shine. People walking up and down the Portales. Music everywhere, mothers with lots of kids, young girls strutting their stuff, old men with deep wrinkles and worn hats. Blue sky, hot weather, bright green trees, traffic, restaurants and everything you can think of for sale. This is the Mexico that is so fascinating and intoxicating. I learnt to enjoy that while growing up and now as a "tourist" I enjoy it even more. And that is the thing about Mexico, everything is Mega. Is as if the volume is to the maximum there. Here is tight. There is loose. Here is quiet. There is loud. Here is slow. There is fast. Here is green. There it is colourful. Not that one is better than the other. Is just that it is different.



The pace of the city is insane. The energy is almost palpable. And to me that is what makes it special and wonderful. But I have grown used to the more relaxed atmosphere of this town. I don't know that I could live in Mexico again. Maybe I could, is like everything, just to get used to the sense of greatness and the speed of life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pinche amiguita, pensé que iba a tener una pequeña aparición. Ya se te olvidó que dormiste conmigo.

En fin, esas risas y la desvelada, espero que haya valido la pena.

A Edith le encantaron, los regalitos, y con el osito duerme diario y se llevó sus lápices al colegio

8:05 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home