Tuesday, January 31, 2006

BARCELONA

Well, well. I am not more rested than before but I have a little bit of time before the night starts.

This is a wonderful city! it has electric energy that charges even the death...or the very tired like myself. It´can be 3 am and there are people in the streets, you can eat whatever whenever and it feels generally safe in the very public places.

I have found Barcelona to be the city of details, everything is in the details. Walk for a while around the streets and pay attention and you will see all sorts of beautiful, odd, horrible but always creative detailing on buildings.


See what I mean, all in the details!! Posted by Picasa



Things like window frames, AMAZING doors, unexpected gargoiles, beautiful concrete engraving on buildings called esgraciado, art nouveau catalan por todos lados y los magnificos edificions de Antoni Gaudi.


door detail. Restaurant signage in catalan art nuvo Posted by Picasa


I am sure that his work is not everyone`s cup of tea, the aesthetic is so different and unusual and unexpected that it creates some kind of visual indigestion that needs to be nurtured with some AlkaSeltzer, ok, that sounds bad but I don´t mean it in a bad way. I love it, i love that it is is concepual, that it mixes art, craft and architecture and nature. I love the colours and mostly to me it seems unpretentious and fun, seems that the guy was just having plain fun and what is even better is that he was left alone to do his work, his way. I wonder if in Vancouver or other cities that creativity would be allowed to develop.


La Pedrera. Gaudi. Posted by Picasa


Another Gaudi building Posted by Picasa

The part Guell is beautiful, it looks like a Tim Burton movie, I wonder how much of Tim burtons inspiration comes from gaudi´s work. It is wonky, it seems that it is going to star moving at any moment.


Detalle de las banca Posted by PicasaI like that it is a ¨"mountain " park, not a flat one, and there are some sort of balconies that look they were made with wet sand "bolitas" some of them are scary, like from a scary movie. The houses, like the Pedrera are amazing. The roof top is quite something, but I could´t see it all as I got a horrendous vertigo attack. It has been getting worse, I am worried about it, perhaps it is time for me to go skydiving again.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caballo, ahora entiendes lo que es tener marcha??? Y con patitas amarillas se ha de ver retechulo el cuaco !!! Besitos del gatitolin

11:00 p.m.

 
Blogger marcela en canada said...

Gaudi is an extraordinary architect, Park Guell is one of my favoruite places of his creation.
Cant quite picture it in Vancouver thought... mmm

Did you go to the Palau de la musica catala... its worth it!

11:39 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolineta --
So good to know you're enjoy BCN! Do you now understand why I miss living there so badly? I felt so at home there.
It's also good you had a chance to move around with locals -- can't get better than that.
Since you went for your private architectural tour, I'm sure you must have gone as far out as the Northern "border", where they redeveloped a part of town that had been left behind when they renovated the waterfront for the 1992 Summer Olympics, but was taken care of for 2004's "Forum de las Culturas". It was a great pretext to build a very appealing group of buildings.
Please tell me about the 'clementinas', ok? And please do tell how much longer you will stay there and if you've planned on going elsewhere at this point. Could it be Madrid? Lisbon? Bilbao? Back to London?
Petonets,
Erwin

10:55 a.m.

 
Blogger Raquel said...

aaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy
Carolina, que increible resenia te aventaste...espero con ansia tu regreso para que nos cuentes en vivo!!!
Un abrazo.

10:18 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you note that they gain access by burrowing through your garden, you can buy a motion sensor to alert you any time this happens. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Alexa Bags[/url] I had not cheated on my wife before but I didn't want to miss my chance. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose[/url] Ozgcnxoxo
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora bracelets[/url] Uiyaufflh [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] skhkdvvpt

3:23 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home