Monday, January 30, 2006

The SAGRADA FAMILIA


Stairs up to the tower of the Sagrada Familia. cb2006 Posted by Picasa


This are the staris to go up one of the towers in the Sagrada Familia, I went up about 50 steps, fricked out and came back down, it doesn't have a railing and it is very narrow, spiral and high, so I was a chicken and came back down!

This is the strangest church/temple that I have ever seen. So Gaudi. His concept was the "forest" and nature, to inspire goers of any religion to take some time and pray. He was a deeply religious man. The church has been in construction for something like 80 years, nothing in comparison to many of the churches around the world, like the Dome in Milan that took over 500 years to build. It is nice to see a church "in progress", perhaps it will be finished during my life time.


Tree like columns Posted by Picasa

In order to speed up construction, they are using modern methods like making steel structures for the columns, thus, the whole church will not be recognized by the UNESCO as a monument for humanity. The only part that is is one of the facades that was built exactly as Gaudi had planned. The doors are magnificient, I think that is my favourite parte, but the tree like columns inside are not only different but soothing, perhaps is the shapes, everything inside is soft and curvy. I will be very curious to see how it is once is finished. Most people I talked to think it will be completed in the next 20 years, we'll see.


Sagrada Familia Facade Posted by Picasa

There are several sculputres of saints, and Jesus on the cross, and the Sagrada Familia which are hard to describe. But they are intriguing and one can spend hours just observing and finding new things for a long time. I wish I could do that one day, the day that I was there it was VERY cold so it was not a day to be observing the art. My favourite doors were the ones with all the type, the worksmanship and the design are outstanding.


Details of the "type" doors. CB2006 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home